Air Hitam Educational Forest Penang
For those love forest, wildlife ( like birds) or like photographing, you may not miss out the Air Hitam Dalam Educational Forest in Penang. It is one of the ecotourism programme organise by Penang Tourist board.
How to Go Air Hitam Education Forest
The place is located at Kampung Labuk Banting, 13310 Kubang Semang in mainland of Penang near Butterworth.
( Note: It is around 10 km or 10 min driving from Taman Ampang Jajar, via North South Highway, Exit Sungai Dua Interchange ( Exit 165), follow the main road of Sungai Dua on the right, left turn heading to the “Kepala Batas” direction when you reach the mosque ( Masjid Al Amin), along the road, you will reach the Pekan of Nyior Sebatang and look out for the notice of signboard — ” Rekreasi Ayer Hitam Dalam”. Right turn on the junction and heading down another 1 km to reach the entrance of the Educational Forest where is at your right side.
What to Explore
It is a fresh water mangrove forest where joined from 2 rivers with confluence of wetland. You may find more than 150 species of birds, experience the wild forest, palm trees and wild fauna. The access is well pave and constructed with pavilion, viewing tower, elevated walkway to walk around the educational forest.
Have a good exercise by walking, bring along the camera, take photos of the trees and wild bird and explore the real forest and temporary get away from the “concrete forest”.
If you are lucky, you may have chance to see the below wildlife :
- Black Kite (Milvus migrans) 黑鸢
- Tickell’s blue flycatcher (Cyornis tickelliae) 梯氏仙鶲
- Asian Paradise Flycatcher(Terpsiphone paradisi)
- Black-and-red Broadbill(Cymbirhynchus macrorhynchos) 黑红阔嘴鸟
- Blue-winged Pitta (Pitta moluccensis) 马来八色鸫
- Pale-Legged Leaf Warbler 灰脚柳莺
- Asian Paradise Flycatcher 亚洲寿带
- Brown Hawk-Owl / Brown Boobok (Ninox scutulata) 褐鹰鸮
- Streak Breasted Woodpecker(Picus viridanus)…纹腹啄木鸟 ( below picture)
- Crimson Sunbird (Aethopyga siparaja) – 黄腰太阳鸟 ( picture above)
- Greater Racket-tailed Drongo 大盘尾
- Lineated Barbet (Megalaima lineata) – 黃紋擬啄木鳥（五色鳥）
- Asian Openbill Stork (Anastomus oscitans) 白隙嘴鸛
- Green-billed Malkoha (Phaenicophaeus tristis) – 绿嘴地鹃
- Ashy Tailorbird (Orthotomus ruficeps) – 灰缝葉鶯
- Spotted Wood Owl (Strix seloputo）_ 点斑林鸮
- Von Schrenck’s Bittern (Ixobrychus eurhythmus) – 紫背苇鳽
- Crested Serpent Eagle (Spilornis cheela) -大冠鹫
- Common Flameback or Common Goldenback Woodpecker (Dinopium javanense) – 金背三趾啄木鸟
- Collared Kingfisher (Halcyon chloris) – 白领翡翠
- Many more
Air Hitam Dalam Educational Forest – 艾依淡红樹林保育區
For more detail and bird snap shoot, you may visit the official facebook page for the Air Hitam Dalam in below link.
- Website: Visit Air Hitam Dalam
Share with more photos with us when you visit the place with your friends, family or love one.
Need to book Homestay in Butterworth ?
Try it out the Homestay Butterworth when you need a short stay or accommodation when visit in Penang. You may find out the attractive price and facilities for the homestay house in the following links.
Where to go when you are in Butterworth, Penang ?
Others interesting article for reading :
- Best Medical Country in Year 2017
- Food Must Try in Butterworth
- Penang Attractions
- Visit Penang in Chinese New Year 2017